You probably already know that you need auto insurance in order to stay street legal, but how much do you know about the types of auto insurance that are available? It’s certainly not a one-size-fits-all policy, and there are numerous coverage options and limits to choose from when building a policy that suits your needs.
We recommend talking to your independent insurance agent to get more personalized information; but in the meantime, we’ve broken down the most common types of auto insurance coverage so you can learn a little more about what you’re buying.
- Collision: This option covers the cost of repairs to your vehicle after it’s been damaged in a collision with another vehicle, an animal or a stationary object. Some policies may also cover the cost of a rental car during the repair process.
- Liability: Every state requires drivers to buy liability coverage, though coverage limits vary. This option protects other drivers in the event that you cause an accident. It helps cover third party vehicle damages, medical bills and any necessary legal expenses or settlements.
- Comprehensive: Not all damage results from an accident. This option covers car repairs that result from weather damage, fire, flooding, theft and vandalism.
- Medical expenses: While liability coverage helps fund other drivers’ medical bills, this option helps cover your own medical expenses if you’re injured in an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: Even though drivers are required to buy auto insurance, some neglect their responsibility. If you get hit by an uninsured driver—or a driver who doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your damages—uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage can pay for your losses.
Which coverage options are right for you? Call Lindfors Insurance Agency for more information on auto insurance.